“The process of living, of growing up, and becoming a person, is precisely the gradually increasing awareness of finding meaning and living according to it.”
It’s my 34th birthday. I thought I’d share what I’ve learned thus far. I’ve curated a list of 12 items given that it’s been 12 months since my last birthday. Truth is, the list likely has no limit, and perhaps it shouldn’t. But our brains can hold so much, and thus remember so much, so here it is.
- Over and Next: Get over it. Move on to what’s next.
- Yield: Just step aside, you don’t need to prove.
- Be Curious: Don’t make presumptions about people or circumstances.
- Self-Control: You are what you tolerate.
If you fail the test, then it’s a temptation; if you withstand the test, then it’s a trial.
- Future: The shape of your character now is the shape of your future.
- Ownership: Own your pain, stop pointing fingers.
- Confidence: Place more confidence in what you hope for, than what you have.
- Growth: Listen and do.
The measure of maturity lies between understanding and obedience.
- Dream: Shame or guilt comes when you live beneath what you’ve dreamed for yourself.
- Love: You’re either living to give it or living to receive it.
- Becoming: What informs you, forms you.
- Complacency: What you allow will continue.
Thinking you’ve heard it all is a referendum on you.